
Kid Rock expressed his satisfaction with the unlikely meeting that the Republican rocker brokered between Donald Trump and longtime foe of the president, comic and TV host Bill Maher, this week in Washington, D.C., saying that the meet-up and topics the group discussed together “blew my mind.”
Seeking to put “a little more civility in this country,” Kid Rock, whose legal name is Bob Ritchie, told Fox & Friends on Tuesday morning about how he managed to orchestrate the White House meeting on Monday, as he was seeking to bridge the gap of political ideologies in a starkly divided country. The meeting, which included Ultimate Fighting Championship CEO Dana White, “could not have been better,” he said.
Related Stories
“We talked about things we had in common: ending wokeness, securing the border. The president asked him what he thought about policy, going on with Iran and Israel, among other topics. It blew my mind,” the rocker, one of Trump’s few celebrity endorsers, told the network.
“Nothing happens if people don’t break bread together and meet face-to-face,” he added.
In discussing the odd couple meeting, Kid Rock said he believes that the longtime HBO/Max host has “been one of the president’s hardest critics” and “obviously a very big liberal.” Maher frequently eviscerates the president on his Friday night panel show, Real Time With Bill Maher. Meanwhile, the president has previously lumped the comic in with his liberal haters, at one point declaring that Maher has “Trump derangement syndrome” and that the host’s current events and politics-oriented show is “boring.”
Ahead of Monday’s meeting, Trump wrote that he was not looking forward to it on Truth Social, his social media platform.
“I really didn’t like the idea much and don’t like it much now, but thought it would be interesting,” Trump wrote on the platform. “It might be fun or, it might not, but you will be the first to know!”
The Hollywood Reporter did not immediately hear back from Maher’s publicists on Tuesday after sending an inquiry about the meet-up.
Kid Rock was beside Trump at the Oval Office on Monday as he signed an executive order aimed at ticket scalping and bringing “common sense” reform to live entertainment ticketing.
“They go out with $100 ticket, and it sells for $2,000 the following night,” Trump said at the signing of the order. “And they seem to be able to sweep up the best locations too, which is pretty amazing.”
THR Newsletters
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day