A teacher leads some of her students into Rowe Elementary School carrying signs as part of a “walk-in” on Wednesday organized by the Portland Education Association. The event was part of a nationwide effort to protest federal cuts to public education. Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald

“Education is a right, that is why we have to fight,” a group of educators, parents and teachers chanted outside Deering High School early Wednesday morning. To a chorus of loud honks from passing cars on Stevens Avenue, they waved signs opposing staff cuts to the federal Department of Education and other actions President Donald Trump has taken that could affect public education.

The group of about 80 were participating in a nationwide walk-in organized by the National Education Association, the country’s largest teachers union. More than 100 similar events took place across 26 states; the event was scheduled for Wednesday because it’s the day that federal elected officials are returning to their home districts as Congress goes to recess.

“Now is the time to send a message: Their decisions in Washington, D.C., matter here at home,” the NEA said in a statement on its website.

The federal Department of Education, under Trump-appointed Secretary Linda McMahon, laid off about half of the agency’s workforce last week. Maine joined several other states in filing suit Thursday, arguing that the workforce reduction will have massive implications for the department’s ability to deliver on its statutory obligations to fund public schools and investigate civil rights complaints.

Teachers and parents protest outside Deering High School on Wednesday. Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald

Trump has often discussed his plans to dismantle the department entirely, which could jeopardize funding for students with disabilities or from low-income families. Maine K-12 schools received $250 million in federal funding this year through sources like the Individuals with Disabilities Act, known as IDEA, and title grants, which support students with learning, economic and language barriers in public schools.

On Wednesday morning, teachers, parents and students showed up in vocal opposition to the federal cuts. At Deering High School, a crowd gathered at 7:50 a.m. Jennifer Brady, a parent of a Deering student, was among them.

Advertisement

“We’re just appalled at the state of affairs right now, with gutting the Department of Education, and we’re concerned about all students getting access to supports that they need,” Brady said. “We also want to make sure that our tax dollars are supporting our students and not being redirected toward nefarious things.”

A student holds up a sign at a protest outside Rowe Elementary School on Wednesday. Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald

Her son Emmett also joined before the start of his school day.

“I think it’s really important that we’re here, and I think it would be really scary if our education system was defunded too much, because then I wouldn’t be able to get a good education, and that’s really important to me,” he said. “And I think it’s really important to a lot of my peers as well, so I’m glad we’re all out here.”

Teachers, students and parents walk toward Rowe Elementary School with their signs on Wednesday. Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald

Kerrie Dowdy, president of the Portland Education Association, the union that represents teachers in the district, said the vast majority of all American students, including 95% of students with disabilities, attend public schools.

“All students benefit from programs run by the Department of Education, and we’re here today to protect our students and to protect our public schools,” Dowdy said.

Participants said they were inspired by more than just last week’s Education Department staff cuts. Dowdy said some people turned out because the loss of IDEA and title funding could threaten vulnerable students at Deering. Others carried signs opposing the administration’s attacks on transgender students.

Advertisement

At Amanda C. Rowe Elementary School, hundreds of parents, kids and educators gathered in a wooded area outside the school at 8:20 a.m. to hear from speakers and chant their support for schools.

“We are here today because love isn’t enough. No matter how much teachers give, they cannot do their jobs without the resources to support their students,” Audrey Bartholomew, a parent of a Rowe student and substitute teacher in Portland schools, told the group.

Faculty members hold up signs as they walk through the doors of Rowe Elementary School on Wednesday. Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald

She said many schools in the district, including Rowe, rely on funding through IDEA and title programs that could be at risk: “If these cuts go through, they won’t just hurt schools. They’ll hurt the students who need them the most.”

Bianca Winship, an instructional coach at Rowe, helped organize the school’s action.

“We’re already depleted of resources, and even more are being cut. So we felt that we needed to do something, and needed to rally and organize,” Winship said. “We were really excited for our community to come out in support of our school.”

At the end of both rallies, teachers and students walked inside to begin their school day. Jesse Hargrove, president of the Maine Education Association, was at both events.

“The partnership between national efforts, state efforts and local efforts, particularly involving the parents, is really inspiring, and I hope that our national leaders are paying attention,” he said.

Related Headlines

Join the Conversation

Please sign into your Press Herald account to participate in conversations below. If you do not have an account, you can register or subscribe. Questions? Please see our FAQs.